Thursday, February 18, 2016

February 18, 2016 Minecraft 1.9 release!

Good morning! Yesterday I saw that the Minecraft 1.9 pre-1 was released & 1.9 will be finally released on the 25th of this month. This means that most servers I'm on will be starting over. Most have announced brand new worlds with the upgrade to 1.9 & I'm just fine with that. A lot of people hate restarts. They hate losing all they have built. Me, I just love starting over ... especially in Minecraft. In fact, I got so excited about it that I wanted to have a plan ... a different plan than the one I've been going by on all the servers. A new build style. So I loaded up a new single-player world last night & tried something new. From now on, I'll be building 8-sided houses that I can add onto on any of the 8 sides, making it more interesting than the 4-sided boxes I was building & adding onto on 1 of only 4 sides. The 4-sided ones looked more like traditional homes & the rooms varied in size depending on the materials I had on-hand at the time, but this 8-sided design is 1-size only. 11x11 at it's center. Now this might get boring pretty quick since there's no variation in size, but the good news is that I know exactly how much of every material I'll need before I even start. For example, the floor will require 98 slabs, the walls require exactly 112 blocks of the main block, 58 blocks for the trim, 17 glass blocks, 8 glass panes, etc. It should still be interesting. I have 4 directions to explore, 8 directions to add-on, 12 different possible rooms to add & I've removed things like dining rooms & living rooms as they're pretty, but absolutely useless in Minecraft. The only rooms I left in that had no purpose were the fireplace, patio, porch, & screened porch ... just because I like how they look enough to keep them there even though they serve no purpose. The starter "module" looks like this:


Every module has a lot of space for anything I may want to put in it, so it should keep me busy for a while. The one above was built in creative mode just to see how it looks & get an item count on everything including the torches. The only trouble I see myself having is with the roof. Connecting the roof got tricky on the 4-sided boxes after a few add-ons ... this is going to be a nightmare trying to make it come out looking good. I always hated roofing, but this? Ugh! It was annoying to make this roof in creative, imagine in survival without flying? It's the only part I'm not looking forward to in this project. While playing 1.9 last night I noticed new features. New sounds that opening & closing doors make, new sounds while swinging the sword at an enemy, new visuals while fighting an enemy, & the boats are cool. They have ores now & you need to use the keyboard to navigate instead of simply looking in the direction you want to go. You can also go right up to the land without the boat breaking apart when you hit something solid. It also looks more like a boat now instead of a boat that's half full of water & sinking. LOL! I like that they're different colors too depending on the type of wood used to build it. I tested out a birch boat last night & it's staying at the shore where I left it & hasn't floated off on my yet. I'm sure there are a lot of new changes that I'll notice once I start playing. New blocks too!

No comments:

Post a Comment